Dance Informa was honored to have been in attendance at the Sixth Annual Dance Against Cancer (DAC) on Monday, April 25, 2016. The sold-out event, held at Midtown’s AXA Equitable Theatre, drew over 500 attendees and raised more than $250,000 to fund the American Cancer Society’s ongoing research, patient care and education initiatives. To date, the DAC has garnered over $825,000 in support of the ACS.
Event co-founders Erin Fogarty-Bittner and New York City Ballet principal Daniel Ulbricht expressed their gratitude via Facebook:
“Thank you again to our In-Kind Event Supporters, 2016 Sponsors, dancers, volunteers, guests and everyone who helps make this event possible year after year. It has been an incredible journey and we couldn’t do it without your love and support. Let us continue to love, care, express, work and fight to create a better world with less cancer and more birthdays!”
The evening featured the following powerful performances:
- Wendy Whelan and Brian Reeder in the world premiere of Reeder’s No Answers, Just Stories
- Ian Spring of Parsons Dance Company in Caught by David Parsons
- Lauren Lovette of NYCB in an excerpt from George Balanchine’s Who Cares?
Rachel McLaren and Marcus Jarrell Willis of Alvin Ailey American Dance Theater in A Caretaker’s Vow, by Willis
- Stella Abrera of American Ballet Theatre in an excerpt from La Bayadère (choreography by Natalia Makarova after Marius Petipa)
- Andrea Yorita and Richard Villaverde of BalletX in It’s Not a Cry by Amy Seiwert
- The Bad Boys of Ballet in Strength and Honor, a world premiere by company founder Adrienne Canterna
- Tiler Peck and Amar Ramasar of NYCB in an excerpt from Justin Peck’s ‘Rōdē,ō: Four Dance Episodes
- Sarah Lane of American Ballet Theatre and Ulbricht in Get Set, a world premiere by Clifton Brown
- Sumayah McRae and Jamal Story in Frederick Earl Mosley’s It’s Been Said
- Jared Grimes and NYCB’s Robert Fairchild in their own world-premiere collaborative creation, Off the Cuff
- Manhattan Youth Ballet in Eugene Louis “Luigi” Faccuito’s Sing, Sing, Sing (staged by Francis Roach)
Leanne Cope and Fairchild in a pas de deux from An American in Paris (choreography by Christopher Wheeldon)
- Gillian Murphy and Blaine Hoven of ABT in Stars and Stripes by Balanchine
- Ulbricht in Ne Me Quitte Pas, a world premiere created by Mosley, in honor of Susan Ulbricht
By Leah Gerstenlauer of Dance Informa.