How much do you know about George Balanchine, one of the 20th century’s most famous choreographers?
By Rain Francis.
1. George Balanchine was born in which country?
2. With which composer would you MOST associate Balanchine?
3. Which of the following is NOT represented in Balanchine’s Jewels?
4. Which group of dancers was Concerto Barocco choreographed on?
a) New York City Ballet
b) Ballet Russe de Monte Carlo
c) Julliard School of Dance
d) School of American Ballet
5. How many times did Balanchine marry?
c) four times
d) five times
6. Which dancer created the lead role in The Prodigal Son?
a) Serge Lifar
b) Vaslav Nijinksy
c) Leonide Massine
d) Mikhail Baryshnikov
7. Which ballerina created the role of the Sugar Plum Fairy in Balanchine’s The Nutcracker ?
a) Maria Tallchief
b) Suzanne Farrell
c) Gelsey Kirkland
d) Patricia McBride
8. Which was the first ballet Balanchine choreographed in America?
a) Tchaikovsky Pas de Deux
9. Which of the following Greek muses is NOT present in the ballet Apollo?
a) Terpsichore, muse of dance
b) Caliope, muse of epic poetry
c) Clio, muse of history
d) Polyhymnia, muse of mime or hymns
10. Theme and Variations is choreographed to a score by which composer?
ANSWERS: 1 – c; 2 – b; 3 – a; 4 – d; 5 – d; 6 – a; 7 – a; 8 – b; 9 – c; 10 – d
Photo: English National Ballet. Thomas Edur and Agnes Oaks performing Balanchine’s Apollo. Photo by Patrick Baldwin.